The firm of Sutcliffe Pressings started in 1885 producing domestic utensils and other sheet metal goods. Later, tinplate safelights and trays for film developing processes were made before progressing to the production of a variety of oil cans and, in 1920, tinplate boats.
In 1932 Sutcliffe pioneered and produced boat hulls made from a single pressing as prior to this all boat hulls had been made in two halves and then soldered together. Most of the boats were produced using the 9 inch and 12 inch hull (approx. 23cm & 30cm) although other sizes were also made. As well as boats and submarines small metal pressings such as the metal box used to hold fire blankets, 'penny' loaf tins and a few other toys were made.
Toy production continued until the factory closed in 1984.